March 2, 2016
Whidbey Writes encourages writers with a Whidbey connection to submit short fiction and poetry for publication in the online version of Whidbey Life Magazine. Selected submissions are published monthly online and twice a year in the print issues of Whidbey Life Magazine. The magazine’s editors will select a submission, based on its popularity online, to publish in their May or October print issues. Click here for the submission form.
An editorial board reviews all submissions quarterly (at winter and summer solstices and spring and fall equinoxes) and selects three submissions for publication—one per month each quarter—in Whidbey Life Magazine online. The next cut-off date for submissions to be published this spring and summer is March 20, 2016.
Submissions that meet the following criteria are more likely to be selected for publication in Whidbey Life Magazine:
• Evocative, moving work that inspires readers to willingly leave their world behind to enter yours
• Accessible writing that doesn’t call attention to itself (i.e. doesn’t create a barrier between the reader and your story/poem)
• Work that has not been published or submitted for publication elsewhere (including online)
• Poems with 40 lines or fewer (You may submit up to three poems per quarter.)
• Fiction with 1,500 or fewer words. (You may submit one piece of fiction per quarter.)
• A Whidbey connection
For more information on Whidbey Writes and to see previous selections, visit our Whidbey Writes page.