“How to” use WLM share your announcement or promote your event
All organizations, artists or anyone with arts and lifestyle related information or events are invited to post their events and news on Whidbey Life Magazine.
We help promote arts and lifestyle related events (we do cover all the arts and more: visual, performance, literary, music, culinary, wine, theater, dance, filmmaking, history, nature, etc.) activities, news and artistic endeavors that are happening on Whidbey Island. No membership or log in is required to submit news and events. WLM reserves the right to edit, delete, or choose to not publicize events that are submitted.
Here’s an overview for using the system:
- If you want to be considered for a story by one of our writers, submit a pitch and press release about your event 4-6 weeks before the event to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Post your event to the calendar using “calendar submission form” 4-6 weeks in advance (or longer if you know the dates and details).
- Post your news to “Community Art News” using the “news submission form” 14-21 days before your event. (Earlier than that is not necessarily better.) Community News is posted on our website but not in the the weekly e-newsletter FLASH. We do put a link to the Calendar in the FLASH so be sure to upload your event to the WLM Calendar page.
- Once your news has posted, we will share it on Facebook and Twitter. You can easily share it from our page or directly from the story (social links are at the bottom of each story).
- How? Click on the “Calendar Submission” Form (bottom right of HOME page). Fill out and submit the form; you’ll get a confirmation screen that your submission was accepted. Make sure your email filter will accept email from info at whidbeylifemagazine.org. We only accept events that happen on Whidbey Island.
- When? It can take up to 24-36 hours before you’ll see your submitted event on the website. Post your events in advance so people can plan to go to them. Once you’ve filled out the form the first time, it will auto-fill most of your info (name and address, etc.), so it’s easier the next time you do it.
- Edits? You cannot make edits. If you have a change to your event, email us at info at whidbeylifemagazine.org. If it’s a lot of changes, submit a new event and we’ll delete the old one.
- Why? Post your events because it goes to our calendar AND it also syndicates (automatically shares your event) with many other calendars through Syndical. Your calendar post is automatically shared beyond the WLM calendars to:
- Whidbey Telecom’s Community Website
- Eventful (this is a large syndicated calendar and has contracts with many other outlets including:
http://events.kmps.cbslocal.com/ http://www.countrylegends1039.com/events/ http://events.seattle.cbslocal.com/ http://cwseattle.cbslocal.com/ http://seattle.cbslocal.com/station/1090thefan/ http://events.kzok.cbslocal.com/ http://events.komonews.com/ http://events.king5.com http://porttownsend.golocal247.com
COMMUNITY ART NEWS SUBMISSIONS
How? Click on “News Submission Form” in the bottom right of every page. (If you aren’t sure how to write a news release, please see “Writing a Good News Submission” below). Fill out and submit the form. You’ll get a confirmation screen immediately (make sure your email filter will accept email from info at whidbeylifemagazine.org). The form requires an image sized no larger than 200kb. NOTE: The image will appear as a square, so rectangular images are not advised.
We review all News and publish it depending on how much News we have waiting and when it best fits our publishing schedule so you may not see it right away. We only accept News about on-island events, announcements and news. We’ll also post announcements if you’ve won a major award or are participating in a high profile arts event (what we like to call “big news”). Art Opportunities/Call for Artists can be submitted to Community News. Read below for guidelines on how to write your “News.”
Why? Your News will be shared:
• On our website
• We share News to Facebook and Twitter
• It will come up in website searches and bring people to WLM and you.
How you can share
• You can easily share the link via email
• Post a link on your blog or website
• Post on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest or any of the many social networking sites. Those quick links are at the bottom of each story.
When? Please submit a news item 14-21 days before an event. It just gets lost in the shuffle if you submit something in January for an event in March. Readers won’t remember things if they are posted too early. We’ll do our best to make sure news posts in a timely fashion and to keep them in a steady order that makes sense.
If your post does not go through or you can’t find a submit button, try another browser. Some versions of some browsers have trouble with some WordPress forms. If you continue to have problems, please let us know.
Writing a Good News Submission
A title, some basic text and an image is required for News. We do accept News about events, awards, activities or anything “newsworthy” about you. We don’t accept news about events off island (unless it is part of some kind of award or prestigious event).
- News Title: This is basically the headline to your news item. A good, descriptive title is important. Include a verb. Also, if you can fit the town and the date, all the better. The more details (with the least amount of words) is the goal, as in: “Painter Jane Doe is featured through February at Peoples Gallery in Coupeville” (Note: Capitalize ONLY the first word and proper nouns.)
- The body of the News Announcement should include: Who What Where When and MUST be written in a sentence format, (so that it looks like a press release, not itemized data). Put the most important information in the first paragraph. In the second paragraph, describe the event or occasion in more detail.
- Links and contact information: It’s important to include any links and contact information; that can go toward the end of the release.
- Photo / Image: All News submissions must include an image at 72 dpi, which is a small sized file. (It should be no more than 200 KB (Kilobytes) with the longest dimension of the image no more than 500 pixels. NOTE: The image will appear as a square, so rectangular images are not advised.Name your image file using your name (or organization’s name) and some kind of description before submitting it on the form. For a free, online photoediting site that helps you to quickly resize photos, try http://www.webresizer.com/resizer/. On a Mac, the Preview program will let you resize your images easily.
We average over 10,000 visits a month (over 1000 unique visits a week) to our website. We have links on many other calendars and get referred traffic, direct traffic and people coming to Whidbey Life Magazine by searching on “Whidbey, Whidbey Art, Whidbey Life” as well as coming directly to www.WhidbeyLifeMagazine.org. Our WLM Flash emails goes out weekly to over 2000 subscribers.
We are most active on Facebook and have over 2,000 “likes” on our page (As of January, 2016). We post our news, blogs and events to Facebook and Twitter.
We are proud members of all the Whidbey Chambers of Commerce and we have over 30 retail outlets selling our latest print magazine. https://www.whidbeylifemagazine.org/subscribe/