“Why I Love Where I Live on Whidbey”
Many months ago we got a request to publish a short piece from a Whidbey resident about how much
she loves where she lives. We were happy to publish the first of these “Snapshots” at the end of June and we invite you to join in on the fun!
1. Submissions can be primarily text or primarily pictures, whichever best illustrates what you love about where you live.
2. Photos should be good quality and come with captions and photo credit indicating who took the picture. We assume you have permission to use the photo if it is not yours. A maximum of ten photos can be submitted and a minimum of four, although we will usually not use more than six
3. Text shouldn’t be longer than 400 words and can be as short as captions or brief descriptions of the photos. Include any pertinent information, details, explanations, thoughts, feelings, etc. Additional text may be considered.
A. Photo credits must be included for every photo.
B. Sizes of photos: Ideally, each photo should be sent as a 72ppi jpg, with a maximum dimension of 600ppi and a minimum dimension of 350 ppi.
4. Include your name or names as the contributor. It makes it easier for us if you can actually submit it to us in the format we’ll use it:
BY JANE DOE (Note all caps and bold, followed by the credit…
Whidbey Life Magazine guest contributor on the 2nd line, and the date on the 3rd line.)
Month Date,Year (date of submission) (2nd and 3rd lines are not bold.)
5. Suggest a short headline. Please don’t write headlines in all caps; they should be upper/lower case.
6. Do not indent paragraphs and do not put in two returns at the end of paragraphs and do not format except as indicated on number 4 above.
7. Single space at the end of sentences.
8. Please include a sentence or two about yourself at the end.
Example from one of our boggers: “Vicky Brown, Chief Milkmaid at the Little Brown Farm, puts her passions on the page writing about food, agriculture and the tender web of community.”
9. Email submissions to Sue Taves, publisher of Whidbey Life Magazine, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Be sure to include your contact information, both an email and phone. We’ll contact you within two weeks with our decision and a publishing date if we choose to accept your submission.
10. There is no compensation in either direction for Guest Submissions.
PLEASE NOTE: All submissions are subject to editing and we retain exclusive rights to accept or decline submissions. WLM retains exclusive rights to all features published on the WLM site. Guest features may not be reprinted at other publications for a period of three months.
Click below for PDF version.
Whidbey Life Magazine • 360.218.4WLM (360.218.4956) • PO Box 284 • Langley, WA 98260
www.whidbeylifemagazine.org • https://www.facebook.com/whidbeylifemagazine • @WhidbeyLifeMag on Twitter