BY PATRICIA DUFF
Whidbey Life Magazine
Head down to Ott & Murphy’s Tasting Room in downtown Langley and enjoy the new cabaret room where, on Friday or Saturday nights, there’s entertainment to go with that glass of delicious wine and a little nosh.
The husband and wife team of Diane Kaufman and David Ott had a great idea when they decided to expand their cozy, bookish tasting room into the neighboring storefront and open a cabaret.
Ott is the founder of Swede Hill Cellars and one of the winemakers along with Eric Murphy of the Ott & Murphy label. The sweet little tasting room that overlooks Saratoga Passage was designed by Kaufman and now, with the expansion into the performance venue and a new menu of cheese plates, savory terrines and chocolate treats, the couple seems to have the hottest stage in town on their hands.
This reporter has been to a few performances there already and highly recommends the trip to this welcoming spot for some delicious wines and local bright lights of the artistic community. Also, they say if you dance with your date, no one will mind.
Here is the cabaret schedule for the next couple of weeks:
- Danny Ward on saxophone playing the classics from 7 to 9 p.m. Friday, Dec. 28
- Trio Nouveau, a local lovable jazz swing band plays 7 to 9 p.m. Saturday, Dec. 29
- Lisa and Tishia play a special blend of Americana folk music for a special New Year’s Eve party from 8 to 10 p.m. Monday, Dec. 31
- Janie and Joe, the local favorites for soulful rock ’n roll shake up the joint from 7 to 9 p.m. Saturday, Jan. 5
- Danny Ward returns with his sax from 7 to 9 p.m. Friday, Jan. 11
- Karla Crouch and Levi Burkle sing jazzy, pop, musical faves in a duet from 7 to 9 p.m. Saturday, Jan.12
- Jamar Jenkins and Ryan Rodgers get funky with jazz guitar and sax from 7 to 9 p.m. Saturday, Jan.19
- Four for Jazz with Steve Trembley, John Barney, Gordan Piepenbrink and John Piepenbrink get people up and dancing from 7 to 9 p.m. Saturday, Jan. 26
Also, to prepare the palate for the Ott & Murphy taste sensation, here are the current releases from the vintners: 2011 Viognier/Columbia Valley; 2010 Viognier/ Elephant Mtn. Vineyard; 2011 L’Entente Blanc/Yakima Valley; 2010 Double Bluff Red/Horse Heaven Hills; 2008 Radieux (Claret)/Columbia Valley; Mutiny Bay (Red Claret)/ Columbia Valley; 2008 L’Entente/Columbia Valley; and 2009 Syrah/Columbia Valley.
The tasting room and cabaret are at 204 First St. in Langley. Call 221-7131 for more.