Updated Dec. 15, 2013
Here’s your December handy list of events, sales and shows to keep your holiday season jingling all the way. Click on the links below to get the details! (Check back for frequent updates to this list.)
- Whidbey Chamber Singers perform at 7:30 p.m. Friday, Dec. 20 at Langley United Methodist Church. The singers present “Holiday Reflections,” a choral concert featuring works by Gustav Holst, John Rutter, Morten Lauridsen, Robert Shaw and other greats.Suggested donation at the door is $15 for adults, $10 for seniors/military and $5 for youths. Langley United Methodist Church is at 301 Anthes Ave. in Langley.
- John Rutter’s “Gloria” will be performed at 8 a.m. and 9:30 a.m. Sunday, Dec. 22 at Trinity Lutheran Church in Freeland. These performances will take place as a part of each of the first two worship services.
- Good Grief! “You’re A Good Man Charlie Brown, Revised,” the feel-good musical featuring the whole Peanuts gang, opens at Whidbey Island Center for the Arts in Langley runs through Saturday, Dec. 21. Buy tickets at the WICA Ticket Office (360) 221- 8268 or tickets.wicaonline.com.
- Cabaret nights at the winery are from 7 to 9:30 p.m. Thursdays, Fridays, Saturdays at Ott & Murphy’s Winery Tasting Room in downtown Langley. Reservations recommended.
- A musical variety show,”Christmas Snapshots” opens at 7:30 p.m. Thursday, Dec. 12 through Dec. 21 at Whidbey Playhouse, 730 S.E. Midway in Oak Harbor. Tickets are $14; call the box office at 360-679-2237 for more information about group discounts and reservations or email at email@example.com. Visit www.whidbeyplayhouse.com.
- Whidbey Island Dance Theatre presents “The Nutcracker” at 7:30 p.m. Friday, Dec. 20; at 2 p.m. and 7:30 p.m. Saturday, Dec. 21; and at 2 p.m. Sunday, Dec. 22 at South Whidbey High School Auditorium on Maxwelton Road. (A character brunch starts at noon on Sunday, Dec. 22.) Get tickets here.
- Sunday Live Music Series ongoing at Blooms Taste for Wine at Bayview Corner from 3 p.m. to 5 p.m. Sundays.
Pop Up shopping for local gifts!
- Shop the 15th annual Holiday Open House and Sale at STILLFire Pottery in Freeland from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturdays and Sundays, Dec. 21 and 22. Shop the great selection of handcrafted porcelain bowls, vases, trays, mugs and more made by us at our studio. We’ll be offering discounts, light refreshments and lots of holiday cheer.
- Handcrafted on Whidbey pop-up shop at the Bayview Cash Store combines great food from Tres Gringos with a shopping experience that includes an array of artisan made gifts from local artists and producers. It’s open 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. Thursdays through Mondays through Dec. 31 at the old Star Store in Bayview Corner.
- Inspired Arts Gallery and Gifts offers a local holiday shopping bonanza on the corner of Main Street and Harbor Avenue in downtown Freeland.
- Greenbank Farm Holiday Market Dec. 21, 22. Enjoy holiday music and warm beverages, while perusing quality handmade products produced locally. Santa will be here every Saturday, from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- Eddy’s Repurposed popped up at the cottage across the street from Payless, which previously housed Roaming Radish in Freeland. The shop is open seven days per week from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. to Dec. 24 and features local handcrafted goods from cookies and clothing, to woodwork and weaving, paintings and photos, ironwork peace signs, books, fine art, fishing nets, mittens, clay, glass, jewelry and magical bugs!
- Visit with eight of Whidbey Island’s outstanding artisans as you shop for unique locally made fine art and gifts, at the third annual Made Right On Whidbey gift show, from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturdays and Sundays to Dec. 15 at the Pacific Northwest Art School in Coupeville.
- Bayview Market for the Holidays opens at Bayview Community Hall. More than 20 vendors from the popular Bayview Farmers Market will sell their wares from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday, Dec. 21 at Bayview.
GALLERY SHOWS THROUGH DECEMBER
- Blooms Winery Taste for Wine and Art tasting room shows its annual “Hundred Bucks Art Show” at the historic Bayview Corner Cash Store through December.
- Rob Schouten Gallery at Greenbank Farm presents “Home for the Holidays” gift show through December with the work of 26 of the most highly-skilled and sought-after Whidbey and Northwest artists working today.
- Inspired Arts Gallery in Freeland features the work of more than 30 artists and artisans all the time for special holiday shopping.
- Studio 106 in downtown Langley features painters Phyllis Ray, Faye Castle and Barbara Barry through December.
- Brackenwood Gallery in downtown Langley presents the “Small Pleasures Gift Show” with more than 35 artists contributing through December; plus “Langley Inside and Out” painting by Phyllis Ray.
- Museo Gallery in downtown Langley shows new works by mixed-media artist Melissa Koch, along with its annual holiday gift show through Dec. 30.
- Arlon Rosenoff Gallery in downtown Langley shows Rosenoff’s “City Reflections and Urbanscapes,” some Seattle cityscape paintings and paintings featuring Langley.
- Christina’s Island Real Estate and Fine Art features several local artists in a variety of media and is open by appointment; call Christina Moats at (360) 632-4132.
CHECK OUT THESE LOCAL ARTS AND PERFORMANCE CLASSES
- Whidbey Island Fine Art Studio classes in advanced painting and drawing
- Pacific Northwest Art School classes in textile arts, painting, drawing and photography
- Click Music in Oak Harbor holds a variety of classes for adults and children in music, belly dancing and juggling.
- Sweetwater Creek Farm Studio classes in handcrafting journals, gourd art
- Art Center@WICEC holds a variety of arts and adult education classes
- Whidbey Children’s Theater holds regular auditions and after-school classes for children
- Free Dance Classes @ OutCast Studio with K. Sandy O’Brien at noon on Saturdays at the OutCast Studio off Coles Road in Langley. Visit www.outcastproductions.net for more info.
- Dance for Actors workshop from 1 to 3 p.m. Saturdays, Jan. 4 to March 1 at Whidbey Playhouse in Oak Harbor. Suitable for adults and youths; $75 for 8 weeks. Pre-register.
Be sure to check Whidbey Life Magazine’s syndicated calendar for more events!
(Pictured at top, “Miss Matilda” gets into the holiday spirit at the Langley Holiday Parade Dec. 7. / David Welton photo
CLICK HERE to read more entertaining and informative WLM stories and blogs.
WLM stories and blogs are copyrighted and all rights are reserved. Linking is permitted. To request permission to use or reprint content from this site, email firstname.lastname@example.org.