Sept. 4, 2013
School has started and the Whidbey Island summer gracefully moves toward its close with the last flush of sunshine and festival events. Here’s a list of activities from art openings, to dance, music and workshops. (Click on the links for details.)
- Island Shakespeare Festival continues performances of “Much Ado About Nothing,” in the tent behind Langley Middle School at 5 p.m. Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays through Sept. 15.
- After Hours in Henry the Tent tour kickoff concert with Harmonic Resonance at 8:30 p.m. Friday, Sept. 6.
- Dance at Feel Free Friday presents “Belovedjuice” with Lucy Funkhouser Yanz and Peter Yanz at 7 p.m. Friday, Sept. 6 at Whidbey Island Dance Theatre, 714 Camano Ave. in Langley. Contact Maureen Freehill for info.
- Pacific Northwest Art School in Coupeville presents “One Vest: Twenty Variations” fabric workshop with Anita Luvera Mayer from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. daily, Sept. 6 to 8.
- WLM gallery members host September openings with First Friday and First Saturday artwalks. From 5 to 8 p.m. Friday, Sept. 6 at Greenbank Farm and Garry Oak Gallery in Oak Harbor; from 5 to 7 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 7 in downtown Langley.
- Nancy Nolan, Keegan Harshman & Friends play from 7:30 to 9:30 p.m. every Thursday; Janie & Joe play the cabaret from 7:30 to 9:30 p.m. Saturday at Ott & Murphy’s Winery Tasting Room in downtown Langley.
- Sunday Live Music Series has Woody Virgil at Blooms Taste for Wine at Bayview Corner from 3 p.m. to 5 p.m. Sunday, Sept. 8.
- Whidbey Island Center for the Arts holds its Annual Benefit Auction the Star Gala & Auction Saturday, Sept. 7 at Zech Hall. Don’t miss this elegant evening, where one can rub fashionable elbows, have some fun and support this important arts center in Langley. More info call 360.221.8268 or see the Facebook page.
GALLERY SHOWS THROUGH SEPTEMBER
- Rob Schouten Gallery at Greenbank Farm new work by Kathleen Frugé-Brown and sculptor Lloyd Whannell through Oct. 1; First Friday artwalk reception is from 5 to 8 p.m. Friday, Sept. 6.
- Artworks Gallery at Greenbank Farm features photography of Marie Plakos and John Olsen through September; First Friday artwalk reception is from 5 to 8 p.m. Friday, Sept. 6.
- Inspired Arts Gallery in Freeland features the work of more than 30 artists and artisans all the time.
- Studio 106 in downtown Langley features “Whidbey Animal Stars” by painter Barbara Barry in September along with artists Phyllis Ray and Faye Castle; artwalk reception 5 to 7 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 7.
- Penn Cove Gallery in Coupeville features stained glass artist Sandy Dubpernell through September.
- Brackenwood Gallery in downtown Langley presents its fourth annual print show with Francy Blumhagen, Buffy Cribbs, Briony Morrow Cribbs, Diane Divelbess, Bridget Fischer and Bruce Morrow through Sept. 30; artwalk reception 5 to 7 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 7.
- Museo Gallery in downtown Langley shows mixed-media works by Meredith MacLeod and lampwork glass by Janis Miltenberger through Sept. 29; artwalk reception 5 to 7 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 7.
- Whidbey Art Gallery in downtown Langley features Native American carvings of Arlo Morganweck and the photographs of Craig Sullivan through September; artwalk reception 5 to 7 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 7.
- Arlon Rosenoff Gallery in downtown Langley shows Rosenoff’s work. He demonstrates on Sundays; artwalk reception 5 to 7 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 7.
- Garry Oak Gallery in downtown Oak Harbor features watercolor painter Randy Emmons through September; First Friday artist reception is from 5 to 7 p.m. Friday, Sept. 6.
LOCAL FARMERS MARKETS
- Langley Second Street Market from 2 p.m. to 6 p.m. Fridays.
- Coupeville Farmers Market from 10 a.mid. to 2 p.m. Saturdays.
- Bayview Farmers Market from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturdays.
- The South Whidbey Tilth Market from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Sundays.
- Greenbank Farm’s Farm and Flea Market from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. Sundays.
CHECK OUT THESE LOCAL SCHOOLS FOR MORE ART CLASSES
- Whidbey Island Fine Art Studio
- Pacific Northwest Art School
- Sweetwater Creek Farm Studio
- Art Center@WICEC
- Classes and auditions at Whidbey Children’s Theater
- Whidbey Island Center for the Arts volunteer opportunites and workshops
Here’s a tip: To make these regular Whidbey Life Magazine lists, become a member and start posting your events to member news and the syndicated calendar!
(Pictured at top, Janie & Joe rock out as they do. They’ll play Ott & Murphy in Langley at 7:30 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 7./Photo by Cynthia Mason.)